Time for Change

I'm not a person who jumps head first into change or something new. I'm a planner. I have to psych myself up.

Whether it's planning every possible vacation activity (on TripAdvisor) before leaving the house, organizing my 300 Pinterest boards into new sections, or creating a timing and action calendar for my Etsy merchandise, I must be in control. Control brings me the peace I need to embrace change.

The last few years have been a bit out of control, but I'm slowly getting back on track. It's time to let go of bad habits created during "survival mode" and make some changes to my lifestyle. My to-do list is a mile long, but I feel like putting myself at the top of the list will make the rest of it much easier.

When my first child started school, 3 years ago, I returned to exercise and started a business. Mere months into my new groove, I found out I was pregnant with number two.  I did not expect the experience to be difficult, but as I battled nausea and vertigo for months, life paused. It continued to pause off and on for the next 2 years, as we discovered what a difficult baby really is.

Pink morning clouds are better than no sun at all (at our Catskills home)
Our difficult baby started pre-school last fall, just a few hours a week. In December, we experienced her last sleep regression and she is currently cutting her last 3 molars simultaneously. Her new vocabulary is gradually taking the place of aimless wailing, and there's more happiness in our home. She is obsessed with potty training (her idea, she's very controlling, you know), and she desperately awaits the upgrade of her crib to a big girl bed. The light at the end of the tunnel is brightening each day.

I began to see that light a few months back, and being who I am, I started to psych myself up to reclaim control. I started a mental checklist of things I've let go undone, or dismissed as "good enough": a (very) clean house, my business / hobbies, and my body.

I don't know where your priorities lie, but I cleaned my house first. In fact, I have two houses, and they are both nearing ultimate organization status.  If you know Librans, you know that we just can't achieve anything internally, before clearing a path externally. Balance and control first, grace and beauty follow!

This week I'm beginning a shift in eating habits, inspired by the fitness program I've chosen to follow to heal some post-pregnancy issues. The MUTU system is a 12-week program consisting of healthy eating and specific exercises. I'm not quite ready to carve out time for workouts, and I'm not quite ready to toss all the food in my pantry that's not allowed. The only thing that sudden change does for me is cause some kind of rebound, similar to a shopping spree following a spending freeze. I know this. So I'm going to ease into altering a few things at a time until the habits form naturally.

Now, please excuse me while I go scrub the upstairs shower, before my pre-schooler comes home for lunch. Priorities, man, priorities.







Comments

Trending Posts