Green Pea Guacamole



To be honest, this recipe idea for guacamole with peas came from a baby-food cookbook. My 15-month old, Ian, loves avocados, peas and anything drenched in lime juice. I figured the adults would enjoy this dip, too.

However, the original recipe from Cooking Light First Foods is both overthought and thoughtless. The way I usually make guacamole is pretty simple, with only a few ingredients. The Cooking Light recipe includes peas, avocado, green onions, salsa, lime, cumin, cilantro and garlic. Avocado, lime, cilantro: absolutely, check. Peas: this goes along with my theory that fruits and vegetables of the same color play well together, so I'm in.  Green onion: also fits the green theme, but definitely getting spit out by a kid with no molars. Plus, aren't there onions in salsa? Oh wait, salsa? In guac? What kind of salsa? There are so many variations and options, how can it be consistent? Skipping it. Cumin... hmmm that sounds good, Ian loves cumin - it's in. Garlic: I initially overlooked the insanity of this inclusion and tossed it in the mix thinking of it's wonderful health benefits in it's raw form. The following two recipes in the book for hummus and peanut dip also call for raw garlic. Must be beneficial, right? 

I doubled the amount of avocado in the recipe, and I did use only half the garlic. I didn't question it until I dipped my spoon in the food processor to taste the guacamole. Whoa! That's garlicky! Wait, raw garlic for a toddler? It did taste very good... but it sure was pungent.

The addition of peas makes this guacamole worth trying again. It's a good, sneaky way, to add fiber and protein to a snack. But it will be a very long time before I give raw garlic to my son again. He was so cranky for hours after I gave it to him. I think he had a bellyache. I ate some with him, and tasted the garlic all day long. I'd be cranky too!


Green Pea Guacamole
4 servings
approx. 3-4 cups of dip

4 medium avocados
1 C frozen green peas, reheated
1/4 C lime juice
1/4 C cilantro
1/2 tsp cumin
*if you really love garlic, go ahead and add a small clove
salt & pepper

Place all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until almost smooth. Season with salt and pepper. 




Comments

Trending Posts