Spring Green Fennel Salad



I've promised myself that this year I will learn to like fennel. Not for any real reason, just because it seems like something one should enjoy. I was going to make it into a creamy potato-fennel casserole, but didn't feel like putting in so much effort.

Instead, I decided to make it into a nice healthy salad to go with my turkey. Healthy is good today, since I binged a little bit last on hot wings and french fries at an Irish pub with the girls. 

For this salad and unfamiliar ingredient, I used a little trick I like to call "inspired by the color __" to give me direction on things to pair with fennel. The same-color-veg method works great with soups, and it worked here too. Everything in it is green - right down the the dressing of lime juice and olive oil (technically, olives are green, right?).

This salad goes great with turkey or chicken - try a bite with a little of everything

Spring Green Fennel Salad
A crisp and tart salad, inspired by the color green
Serves 2

¼ C fresh lime juice
¼ C extra virgin olive oil
1 fennel bulb, sliced thin
1 green apple, sliced thin
1 small cucumber, sliced thin
2 T fresh mint leaves, chopped
¼ C fresh cilantro, chopped
½ C shelled pistachios, toasted
sea salt & black pepper

lettuce leaves for serving

Whisk together lime juice and olive oil - adjust amounts if you like it more or less tart. Toss all ingredients together and serve on lettuce leaves.

Comments

Ellie said…
I love fennel. This sounds great!! I might have to put some procuitto on top though :)

Trending Posts