Arroz con Gandules (Pigeon Peas and Rice)



Sometime last year I was browsing the Goya selection in some grocery store somewhere, and noticed the Pigeon Peas. Seeing as rice and beans is somewhat of a staple in a vegetarian household, the same old black beans do tend to get a bit dull. So I threw this new unheard of can of peas into the basket, and went home to research recipes. After checking the Goya website, and a few other recipes for Arroz con Gandules, I decided I could just cook these the same way I do the black beans. They came out great, but I rarely go into an actual grocery store, so I forgot all about them. 

But here they are again, simple and healthy and great leftover.  This recipe is actually so easy, my husband cooked it this time (although I seasoned it) as I recovered from my Bikram class and fried some over-ripe bananas. I think he might be capable of cooking if I had more patience to teach him things.


Pigeon Peas and Rice
1 T Canola or Vegetable oil
1/2 Onion, chopped
1 clove Garlic, minced
2 Tomatoes, chopped
1 14oz can of Pigeon Peas (Gandules)
Adobo seasoning
Cumin
Dried Oregano
Cayenne
Salt
Pepper
Lime wedges
Brown Rice, cooked (may take up to 1 hour to cook)


1. Heat oil in a deep skillet over medium heat and saute onions 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook another 3 minutes. Keep heat low enough that the onions and garlic don't brown.


2. Add tomatoes and cook 2-3 minutes. 


3. Add pigeon peas and cook, stirring, about 5 minutes. Add a heavy sprinkling of adobo over the pan, a tiny pinch each of cumin, oregano and cayenne. Season with salt and pepper, tasting and adjusting all seasonings as needed.

4. Serve over rice with a lime wedge. Squeeze lime juice over beans. 




Fried Bananas: Heat butter in skillet. Cut banana in quarters and sprinkle with brown sugar. Fry in butter, flipping once and sprinkle with white sugar. Add a splash of vanilla extract and fry until bubbly and bananas brown. Serve with powdered sugar.

Comments

Trending Posts